Skip to content

Training for SeaWheeze: Running Scared

Returning once again as the official water supplier of Vancouver’s SeaWheeze Half Marathon, members of the Whistler Water team are training for this year’s big event.  Below is a snapshot from Jodi’s Journey: 

A couple of years ago I had my sights set on a half-Iron

man. I had done Olympic distance triathlon and I was confident in my ability to train up and accomplish the swim and the ride…it was the run. Traditionally, while not fast, I am a solid 10km runner but when I’ve attempted longer distances, I’ve encountered injury. Such was the case for the half-Iron. After a 17-km training distance run, my left knee took months to recover.

Since then I’ve done some running, I do regular circuit training and I love getting out on the road bike. Still, that half-marathon distance has been something I’ve wanted to re-attempt – because I’m stubborn like that!

Starting in the early spring I began putting in some shorter distance/duration runs. At first just one run a week, then two before “officially”  starting my training. A massage therapist had told me that while our cardiovascular system can grow in capacity very quickly, the rest of the body takes longer – and that is one of the key sources of injury for runners…trying to do too much too fast.

As I worked through my training, my weekly long run distance continued to grow. When I hit the 12km and 14km distances, coupled with other weekly runs, I did encounter some injury.  First shin splints, then some knee pain, then some ankle pain (which was actually plantar fasciitis). I found an excellent article in Runner’s World that I’ve been following quite religiously and (crossing my fingers) I think that has been a real difference maker for me.  I followed the counsel in regard to when you first encounter pain, strength work, etc.

Last night was the official “scary” run , a 17km run…the same distance where I had injured my knee previously. The run went well.  Immediately after, I stretched, I iced my knees, I rolled my right foot over a frozen water bottle, then I did some facia rolling. Before bed I took ibuprofen. When I woke up this morning I was a teeny bit sore (mainly in my lower back and hamstrings), but largely feeling good and feeling relieved.

I have less than two weeks until Seawheeze. My goal is to get to the start line healthy. If I can do that, I think that the training will take me through the 21 kms.